A Semi-Automatic Smile

'One must try to recover memory - it has so many hiding places...'

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

"I am not anyone's wildest dreams but...I'll be someone to fall back on..."

If you have not heard anything by Jason Robert Brown - change this immediately. I'll get back to this topic soon, but I just had to get that out there.

So life is carrying along pretty nicely currently. Ladies and gentlemen, we have a streak! Sweet. Actually, I didn't think much had happened between my last entry and this one, but in reflecting - and filling in my calendar - I have found that I was mistaken. Let's recap, shall we? Wednesday, J and I went out for a bit of a celebratory lunch in honor of The Matchmaker announcement. TGIFriday's all around. That evening, the two of us and her dad and sister went to go see The Omen. Meh. It was alright. It didn't scare me all that much, which is saying a lot, being as I frighten easily. Julia Stiles was a bad choice. Mia Farrow was a good choice. See it, don't see it - you'll be fine either way. Next big day was Friday. I watched the clouds all day, praying and wishing and bartering with God that it would stay sunny out. Naturally, it was a beautiful day until 4:00 when a freaking tornado thing rolled in. It was pouring and lightening and wind-ing and yeah. Why was it imperative that the weather be nice and a disaster when it wasn't? My babies were graduating from Holy Cross. And I'd be damned before I missed it. If it was nice and outside, it wouldn't be an issue. Should it rain and be moved inside, however, SOMEONE wasn't going to have a very nice graduation party because MOM-MOM was gonna be found in the bathroom with a shoelace around her neck so that little Miss Woodward could get a ticket and see her lovies walk. So as it stormed, I got dressed up and planned how I was getting in. Several options came quickly to mind:

Plan A: Nanna Go Nahnies - see above
Plan B: Sing, My Angel of Music - get former music teacher, now friend Ray-Ray to let me sit in the pit with Music Ministry
Plan C: Lights - Sneek up to the spotlight room and watch from there
Plan D: Camera - Show up with my digital camera and handy-dandy La Salle ACE business card and say I was there to take pictures and write a piece on the 23 members of the class of 2006 that would be headed to La Salle in the fall.
Plan E: Action - Bring my old HC uniform and blend in with the student workers.

I was seriously going to try these things. I was personally quite fond of plans D and E. Fortunately, however, the clouds parted as I arrived at the school and parents were streaming out of the auditorium and headed to the football field. From there, Bill and I watched Chris, Niko, Matt Becker, and the others grow up. I was so proud. I'm such a mom - those were my kids out there. I wrote them all cards that hopefully started to express how much they meant to me. Sappy, sappy, sappy. Anyway, Saturday I woke up at - get this - 6 AM...and happily. I was helping at a walk for autism research. I can't begin to tell you how excited I was. Or why. It just was something I was really looking forward to. So a couple of us from the high school crew and then some college friends of Feesh and Joe all worked together, first being the tape crew, and then directing the walkers. They were all really nice, and I got two T-shirts and a big bag out of it. Loooove volunteering. Went to a graduation party and then almost, almost got to see Liz. That fell thorugh last minute though...damnit. So I went with J to see Matt Duke. Insert swoon here. Lord, he's amazing. He talked to us afterwards, and he and J seemed to hit it off. I was jealous, but hey - share the love. And then, as if I didn't have enough lovely music on Saturday, last night it was off to NYC to see Jason Robert Brown. I wasn't all that familiar with him to begin with. I knew he'd written music for The Last Five Years, Parade, and A Brave New World, but I'd never really heard any of it. So I went with Creed, her sister, and their friend Cherie to The Birdland Jazz Club, where, I have to say I felt sooo sophisticated really classy, with about 150 people at most. We had listened to a little JRB on the way up - stuff from his CD Someone Else's Clothes - so I was a little better aqauinted. But, God, what a performer. He plays piano and sings. There was so much energy and he was just so into it and aaah. Yeah, loved it. So check it out. He's also writing two new shows - 13 with the guy who directed Camp (who, coincidently, held the door for me last night), and Honeymoon in Vegas based on the Nicholas Cage/ Sarah Jessica Parker movie. He and a friend performed one of the songs from it and oh man - I would love to audition with it. We'll see. Anyway, it was amazing, and I have a new person to add to my favorite artists. And you should, too. Work today was the usual, aside from a trip to Dittmore (cue horror movie noises). My God, that place is terrifying. Jo Anna and I saw maaajor potential for at least a scary movie trailer to be filmed in there. I can't wait. Tomorrow holds my first Matchmaker rehearsal - I'm way excited.

My little music as life thing is on my xanga - fairly dead on - sooo scary. To close, a game:
5 Guilty Pleasures
1. Updating my planner...even after a day has passed - I need, need, need to write down what I did on that day. I guess in this vein, numbering the days of my relationships when I cross out what day it is. So obsessive, I know, but it's my OCD, leave me be.
2. Making sure my ears are clean - by far my favorite post-shower ritual. Q-Tips are a gift from God.
3. Sudoku - It's gotten to the point where I have to do one before I go to sleep at night.
4. Keeping my Buddy List alphabetized...and reading away messages - don't act like you don't do the same thing
5. Napping in the middle of the afternoon for unnecessarily long amounts of time - I know I won't sleep at night and I know I'm wasting a good portion of the day, but it's so niiiice.

Tag - you're it.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:55 PM, Blogger Doug said…

    Birdland Jazz Club? Are you serious? I'm in a fit of jealousy--that thing is Mecca to us jazz afficionados. And to concur with you on a couple points, I just finished reorganizing my planner and earlier today I realphabatized and cleaned up my buddy list. Nice to know I wasn't the only one...seriously thought I was.

    Peace and Good Things :)

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Blogger Sara said…

    We're very similar...

    1. The Qtip thing.
    2. The buddy list alphabatization.
    3. Not Sudoku, but crosswords. I keep a book in my purse.
    4. Peeling sunburn. It's so nasty, yet so fulfilling.
    5. Geting a mani/pedi even if I can't really afford it.

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    My damn grents and there locked house.....we were so close pammy so close...next time will have to plan weeks in advance cuz I dont think you and I can do the random thing.

     
  • At 11:14 AM, Blogger Useless Major said…

    Get GAIM. It alphabatizes your buddy list for you, automatically. In fact, you have to specifically tell it not to if you don't want it to.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home