A Semi-Automatic Smile

'One must try to recover memory - it has so many hiding places...'

Saturday, July 01, 2006

"Haven't you people ever heard of closing the goddamn door..."

Panic!...plays tonight at the pier. I want to go, but know is really around for me to go with. I should be brave and do it alone. But I'm not brave.

Long, long time since I've had an update of substance. Settle in for a novel, kids. Much has happened. Everytime I think about sitting down to write, I stop myself saying, 'just cover it all after [insert big event here]'. Lately, however, the big events have been coming one after another. Kida cool when you think about it, but not so conducive to writing.

Since we last met, work has been highly eventful. Friday the 23rd held the filming of Jo Anna and my horror movie trailer spoof Ditmore which can be viewed here. It's really not bad when you look at it, considering this was done in about two days, and on the clock. My job kicks your job's ass. Still not convinced? This Friday we had free breakfast for our boss's birthday and free lunch for one of the counselor's baby shower, which also meant an afternoon sans work. Add to that the rest of Friday was spent playing with an abandoned puppy one of the ladies found on the way in to the office and you should be sending in your applications now.

Last weekend was a mini-Basil's reunion. Stacey came up from Maryland for the weekend and Britni and Mel came down from North Jersey. We played catch up and went out to dinner. We watched American Beauty when the weather prevented us from going mini-golfing. Weird, but wonderful movie. I really do love the artsy-type movies. It makes me feel all mature and stuff for legitimately liking them. And admitting that immediately negates the maturity I might have just acheived.

Stacey and I went to a graduation party before she headed home on Sunday. It was so good to see her again. It's weird living with a person and seeing them the minute you wake up and the minute you go to sleep for 8 months and then not having them around at all anymore. I really didn't like it. But less than two months til we're back in business (wow). After she headed home, I went off to Matt Becker's (my costar in Cross' Footloose) graduation party. Here, I totally integrated myself into the Becker family. Seriously, I was the long lost cousin. I played with the toddlers and sang Karaoke and yeah. It was sooo much fun even though I was the only friend there for most of the party. Haha - I love the Beckers.

Monday, Monday, Monday! Possibly the best day of the summer thus far (I say that a lot). I had my first big girl party. A large group of Masque kiddies from Jersey, New York, and PA came over to swim. Yeah it rained all day and was only about 65 degrees - your point? We seriously had a blast. I know I always hosted pretty enjoyable parties in grade school and high school, but I was nervous about this one. I don't know why. The success of the party really has nothing to do with me - it's all about the guests. And of course the theater kids are going to be awesome. The night consisted of chicken fights (almost deadly), instructional diving, and tons of good conversation. In fact, the evening was such a success that I will be hosting another on July 14th beginning at 7 PM. A lot of the Golden Girls SHOULD be in town for our little reunion, and they were a bit jealous to have missed the first. So I figured it was a good time for a second. If you missed your invite, let me know - all are welcome, I just need a count.

In the Masque vein, Chris and I decided it would be a wonderful idea to go and surprise Angela at work being as she disappeared for awhile. So we loaded into my car with our directions and 162 showtunes and headed for Washington Township in search of the Dairy Queen. Got to Washington Township in about a half an hour. And then proceeded to hunt for said Dairy Queen. For three hours. Madness ensued, but the overall experience was soooo much fun. Lots of singing and hysterical laughing at the absurdity of our situation. We did finally find it and surprise Ange, and then got home in about a sixth of the time it took us to find the place. Ange returned the favor by coming up to see me last night where we also played catch-up and watched The Family Stone. Great movie. A bit unrealistic, but good. And please, someone, if I am ever as neurotic as Sarah Jessica Parker in that movie, please please PLEASE get me help. I wanted to punch her. Next weekend Chris, Ange, and I are going out again. I love my little Masque family. So there.

Continuing in the theater discussion, play practice has been going along smoothly. It's all been seated readings thus far, which are helpful, yes, but I'm dying to start blocking. I need to move - to stretch. It's so obvious during rehearsals too; I'm fidgity in my chair...I just need to interact and make faces and gestures. Which I tend to do anyway, but it's kinda weird during seated readings. But you all know this. The only peopel reading this are theater kids anyway. August is rapidly approaching and I really should start to get off book...should. I will - eventually.

Lastly, I did get to see Felicia the other day. We went to the diner after my rehearsal because we needed to discuss the fact that Josh Groban is once again single. We needed to plan our attack. So we just talked over coffee and Sprite. We seriously bonded with our waiter, who decided Feesh was a pothead and they should smoke together. Wonderful. We then stood outside in the lightening storm saying how much we'd missed each other, parting only when our lives were seriously in danger.

So yes, the only guy I am interested in finding right now is Josh Groban. As for as attainab;e guys go, I'm done. Just done. After getting stood up earlier in the month it dawned on me that I just don't care enough to get my hopes up when it comes to guys anymore. What a shame. It's not worth it. If anyone wants to take the time to pursue me for a change, I'll be the one who's totally uninterested and oblivious to your attempts at a relationship, as I am done. And that's fine. I'm too busy for boys and to easily upset for them too. And I don't like girls, so don't suggest. I'm happy alone. And for that reason, I'm done.

That's a lie. I have fallen in love with a boy. Actually, more than one. 176 to be exact. The Tour de France started today. Even I don't totally understand my obsession with this race. It began two years ago when I caught part of it down the shore with Jenna. And last year, Lance and Team Discovery got me through the worst month of my life. I seriously did not miss a day. Everything around me was falling a part, but I knew that I could depend on the Tour to go exactly to plan. Kind of sad, but it gave me hope and consistancy. And I've kind of become an officiando. I understand it, I know more people than just Lance, the teams, who to watch, etc. It's really not just a bandwagon thing. Today was the prologue. Individual time trial. There was a huge doping scandal yesterday which caused 13 riders to be barred from the race including the two front runners Ulrich and Basso. I say watch Dave Zabriskie, Yuroslav Popovich, George Hincapie, Bobby Julich, and Floyd Landis. Maybe Levi Leipheimer and Jens Voight. My early predictions. I could be way off, but I like these guys. I'm still pulling for Team Discovery, but Zabriskie has a place in my heart after last year. Alright, you guys reaaally don't care about this and I don't blame you, but the Tour has a special place in my heart. I owe it the next 22 days of my life.

Prologue Winner & Yellow Jersey: Thor Hushovd - Norway - Credit Agricole - 8:17
2nd George Hincapie - America - Discovery - 8:17
3rd Dave Zabriskie - America - CSC - 8:21

Viva le Tour!

5 Comments:

  • At 9:08 PM, Blogger Useless Major said…

    "No good job, will I do--again!"

     
  • At 9:39 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Josh Groban is single again? :D the fight is on...

     
  • At 1:16 AM, Blogger George said…

    lovely so happy about the second trip to jersey :)and hey the tour de frnace is considered a sport so i give u props on knowing your sport so good job

     
  • At 12:30 PM, Blogger Liz said…

    so excited about the tour....im watching it now...i think im pulling for Floyd he worked so hard for Lance, it's his time to shine....

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    Hmm I fully agree with your Josh Groban paragraph. I feel like I try so hard sometiems and boys are always oblivious. Now it's our turn to not care and act all surprised when they say that they like us, haha.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home